Thursday, September 09, 2004

Regedit Permissions

On Sunday night, I found out that my “registry hive” was corrupted, and attempts to fix this via the Microsoft Register Repair Utility, via Windows 2000 setup disk, etc. all failed. My reading afterwards turned up problems with the version of the RAID drivers that I was using for my S-ATA HD, which is the likely cause of the problem.

Carlos had something similar with his home computer recently, and finally did an install of Win2K over his old install. This worked OK for him, and the only problem was that he had to reinstall some applications.

However, I expected more data corruption due to the drivers, and didn’t want to continue with my existing data. My long term solution was to buy a Dell Inspiron 9100 w/ Dell financing. However, that will take some time to get here, so I decided to use my old HD (and IDE HD that was working in another machine before I got my new machine a month or two ago). This should keep me with a minimum of “fussing” time until the Dell gets here.

Then, the big problems started. I needed all kinds of new drivers for the HD (makes sense - it was used in a completly different machine). However, it was impossible to install anything - I kept getting a generic error message no matter what drivers I tried to install. Carlos to the rescue. It turns out that the problem was that my user account (in this case, administrator) did not have permission to change some registry values. No idea how I got into this situation, but the solution was to give “full control” to the registry path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENTCONTROLSET/ENUM/PCI. In XP, this can apparently be done w/ RegEdit. However, in Win2K, this must be done with RegEdt32. SALVATION - drivers could then be installed, and I could get back to work.